Sweet And Sour Chicken Recipes – Dishes that never fail are chicken dishes. They simply taste so good, are so versatile, and relatively easy to make. On the health side, chicken is one of the healthiest meats at a more affordable price, so try this Mediterranean Sweet & Sour Chicken Recipe.
Depending on how strict you want to be, you could vary this recipe a little to lower the calories. However, there isn’t any calorie burdened ingredients. Just be sure to take the skin of your chicken and use a small volume of olive oil, preferably canola oil. Better than that, try a quick dry fry and then cook in the oven to prevent the use of any oil.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 50-55 minutes
- Ingredients (makes 6-8 servings)
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ cups diced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp agave ( we used Wholesome Sweeteners)
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 15 pitted prunes, chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp all fruit apricot jam
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp hot water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
Sweet & Sour Chicken Recipe
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl
- In a large bowl, coat chicken thighs with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and rice vinegar. Add spice mix and using your hands, rub it on the chicken until it’s all well coated.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add chicken and cook at medium-high heat, 3-4 minutes per side. Set aside
- In a large soup pot, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add diced onions and crushed garlic. Cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes. Add agave nectar and balsamic vinegar and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add prunes, raisins and orange juice.
- In a small bowl, combine apricot jam and hot water and stir until the jam has dissolved. Add to the soup pot
- Add vegetable broth, lemon juice and salt. Cook at medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Add chicken, reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes
- For the finished product.
Tell me that does not look delicious. Healthy and easy to prepare. Should you have a large cooking dish, you could increase your cooking batch and cook enough for the entire week.